Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Scrabble wall tiles!

Okay so I craft, I am not sure really where it came from. I guess I like to work with my hands and I love seeing what I can make for our new home. I do have to admit, I want to buy the expensive things.. I mean who doesn't? That isn't really in our budget though, maybe if I had a FT job but instead I work PT at a craft store. So you know where my money goes!

Scrabble wall tiles! I know everyone sees these on pinterest and say "man! those are cool" well at least thats what I thought! I never really got a chance to view instructions on how to do it, but it wasn't hard at all. If you have been to my home you know my ceilings are a few inches short of 9 feet in every room, which is a blessing and a curse.

So I went to the hardware store and got 2 pieces of wood it is a very thin wood I think I got it on the "furniture wood isle" All of the tiles are about 8" it took a lot of work determining what words I wanted in my dining room.

To think out your own words and how they will ling together you can go onto microsoft word. I had a huge table and just typed in one letter per box once I figured out what words I liked.

So the 2 pieces of wood were $10 each I managed to have about 8-10 left over for me to use for other crafts.

I painted the wood first. Yes you read that right. I didn't stain first! so I painted the tiles with the same color paint that I painted the walls and the letter value I painted the same color. I stenciled them onto the boards, but keep in mind stenciling on wood isn't going to give you a crisp letter. I wanted a bit of a rustic look but to get crisp letters trace the letter in the stencil with a pencil (pen will dilute and get into the paint) after you trace you can hand paint around the edge then fill in the letter.


After I painted everything with 2 coats I decided finally on color of stain. Dark Walnut! This is a larger container of stain you do not need this much a small container will do but I stain and craft items quite a bit!


So when I stained over the paint I had to wipe off stain on the paint (damp paper towel) but I had control on how much stayed on for a weathered look. If you want it to look crisp stain first and paint second! You can tell how it looks more weathered than the wall paint keep in mind that it is the same paint that is on the walls!


I was thinking about adding a few more words over homemade but I thought that would had been too many words so I opted for larger scrabble tiles!



Now I bet your wondering what on earth I made with the extra tiles.. So here is a sneak peak!


No comments:

Post a Comment